The Legal Deposit is a mechanism regulated by law and managed by theOffice of the Legal Deposit of the Biblioteca de Catalunya which obliges publishers and authors-publishers to submit a series of copies of their production to the Biblioteca Nacional de Catalunya.
This delivery guarantees the dissemination and conservation of bibliographic, audio, visual, audiovisual and digital heritage of Catalonia:
- In the case of works with a certain dissemination, their legal deposit guarantees their consultation and preservation in the national libraries.
- Additionally, in case of having to prove the authorship of the work, registration in the Legal Deposit would be more evidence to provide.
They are subject to Legal Deposit (DL) publications of all kinds and in any medium produced in Catalonia for the purpose of dissemination, whether for sale or for free. The second and successive editions of a work also require the corresponding DL.
Instead, they are not all those documents that do not comply with the mentioned purposes of dissemination. In case of doubt, the address of the Library of Catalonia is the one who determines it.
|DL object documents||Documents excluded from DL|
From the 25 of October of 2015, as established by the Royal Decree 635 / 2015, it was no longer granted a DL number to electronic publications online, such as electronic books or journals, since these resources are already captured by the Library of Catalonia to guarantee their access and permanent preservation [arts. 7, 8 i 10]:
- The conservation centers will be able to capture the publications online, which is why publishers or producers should facilitate their collection.
- If the publications are of restricted access, the publisher or producer will have to provide the keys of access / reproduction, or its transfer.
- The obligations derived from the DL can not impair the legitimate interests of the owners of the rights of the publications, nor to suppose any conflict with the possible commercial exploitation of them.
- The conservation centers may establish collaboration agreements with those public or private entities that have online deposits considered as "safe" for conservation purposes (according to the criteria and requirements established by the same conservation centers).
From the validity of the new one Law 23 / 2011, from 29 July, of legal deposit, the editors of the works are responsible for the processing of the Legal Deposit (DL), instead of the printers.
Therefore, each of the editing units of the UPC (basic, functional or other units) you must request the DL of your publications as detailed below:
- It must be kept in mind that only the DL of the publications produced in Catalonia can be requested in multiple copies for the purpose of dissemination.
- To request the DL via world wide web a code of applicant and password is required that the Office of DL of the Library of Catalonia awards to each entity (according to its NIF). Since the UPC It has a unique NIF, all the units of the same share the same code and password of applicant.
- For this reason, the various units of the UPC They want to request new DL digits, as they need them for their publications, they should contact the Intellectual Property Service (SEPI). In this form you only need to indicate the available bibliographic information of the work (title, author, publisher, ...) and, if this is venal (object of purchase and sale), its future print and price.
When an author publishes his work without the intervention of any publisher or printer (authors-editors), he may also request the DL number by personally addressing the "Office of the Legal Deposit closer and presenting the ID and contact details.
Before requesting a Legal Deposit (DL), the publishing units of the UPC They should be very aware that, as established by the website of theOffice of DL, once the request has been made through the contact form, the applicant will receive the DL number awarded by email.
Next, the publishing unit will have to include the DL in the publication, always respecting them Guidelines set by the DL Office:
- In printed books and brochures, the DL number will appear on the same sheet as the ISBN, on the reverse side of the cover or on the portadella (sheet that precedes the cover of a book and usually only has the title of the work).
- In the daily press, print media and magazines, the DL number will appear at the head of each copy. In magazines with a cover and book format, it will appear on the back of the cover or the portadella.
- The rest of the forms will take the DL number in a well visible place.
- Disks (sound, CD-ROM, etc.) will have the DL number printed on the label or on the center of the plate and on the cover of each disc. The manufacturer of the disk must provide the printer of the bag or the container the number of the DL, in the case that the manufacturer of the disk and the one of the container are not the same.
- The DL must be included with this format, preceded by the abbreviations "DL" (without any point)
DL B. 8411-2012
- The different volumes of a unit work (multivolum work) have the same number of DL (although they have different ISBNs) followed, in roman numerals and in parentheses, of the number that corresponds to the volume.
DL B (number) -2014 (I)
DL B (number) -2014 (II)
Once the work has been edited with the Legal Deposit (DL) and before its distribution or sale, the applicant must send to the Office of DL several copies of the same, which guarantees its preservation and Conservation as part of the bibliographic and documentary heritage.
- The breach of the delivery of the copies is subject to sanction by the Office of DL, sanction that will have to assume the unit of the UPC applicant Therefore, it is very important to keep in mind that this delivery of copies is mandatory, regardless of the type of publication (book, magazine, plan ...), format of the same (paper, CD ...), and / or is intended for sale or not.
- To find out the exact number of copies that must be delivered to the Library of Catalonia, you should check the "How many copies should be delivered?"of your website.
- Periodicals (journals, newspapers or yearbooks) are assigned a single number of DL to the entire work to be printed on each of their numbers. However, even if the DL is the same, the corresponding 4 copies (or 1 copy in the case of e-journals) of each number published in the DL Office must also be sent.
The annulment of the edition of any work (for example, the closing of the publication of a magazine) must be communicated to the Office of DL, communication that the people or entities requesting the UPC they can be done by using <sepi.bupcupc.edu>.
Since the Libraries, Publications and Archives Service It has a courier service with which you can send the copies to the Office of the DL of the Library of Catalonia, applicants can send them by internal mail to the following address:
Floor S1, Office S103-104
To the attention of Ester Badia
The copies must be delivered before two months, counted from the date of the application:
- If after two months of having requested the DL number, the work has not been published, it will be necessary to make a new request requesting an extension or to notify its cancellation. The extension will have a definitive duration of two more months.
- After this deadline, if the corresponding office receives no news, it may initiate a sanction proposal that will have to assume the unit of the UPC applicant