Bibliotècnica is the digital library of the UPC.
You will find:
- access to all collections
- information on the resources and services offered by UPC Libraries.
A catalog is a database used to find out which material has a library or a set of libraries, where these materials are located, and what is their availability to consult them or pick them up in a loan. At UPC you have DiscoveryUPC.
DiscoveryUPC is the content search engine of the UPC Libraries. You will find books, journals, journal articles, theses and many other documents, both on paper and digital.
Use your Library Account to manage your queries, reservations, loans, etc.
More examples of catalogs:
Databases organize and structure the information with the aim of facilitating their retrieval, usually by author, keywords, subjects...
Use databases when you want to find updated and specialized information on a topic.
Unlike library catalogs, databases are usually commercial products in which an editor decides which topic they will deal with and which information they will collect on this topic. There are, however, many databases created by professional or scientific institutions that allow free access to the information collected.
Each database has its own content and focus, so you have to choose the most relevant according to your need:
- of a more practical or more theoretical nature
- international, European, state or local
- with a certain focus: mathematician, social...
- within a certain time limit
- of a specific type of document
List of electronic resources subscribed by the UPC Libraries: https://bibliotecnica.upc.edu/colleccions/bases-dades . They are accessible both inside and outside the UPC through the eBIB service.
It is important that, before beginning to search, you consult the manual of each database to know your options: Boolean, truncations, indexes, etc., for example, of Scopus: http://help.elsevier.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3706/p/8150/c/8270
Search engines are tools to retrieve information available on the Internet (ex. Google).
Use them to retrieve:
- Very precise information (data of people, relevant organizations or product characteristics, etc.)
- Specific documents of entities or official associations, news of interest or websites of recent appearance, etc.
Academic search engines allow you to retrieve scientific and specialized publications.
Portals are websites that include a database of electronic resources classified by topic.
Use the themed portals to:
- search for specialized and quality electronic resources;
- access to a selected list of resources on a subject;
- contact other people of the specialty through distribution lists, directories, forums ...
- access other services related to your search field.