This is historical and curious news related to the Library or the Faculty that we have been publishing, monthly during this year of celebration, on social networks, on the news of the website and through the "Information" bulletins of the library.
- The library as a consultation room (documents by J. Pérez del Río): 3 documents that refer to the conditions of access and use of the library over the years 1948, 1950 i 1951. Some rules have not changed much. Already at 1950 he was asking not to keep the books consulted on the shelves again, although they should now be left in the hall trolley and then they had to return "to Miss Librarian".
- The seals of the library throughout history: collection of different ones stamps that have been used in the library and that can be found in our books. Some show their long relationship with the library, because they have been adding stamps during the different stages of history, for example this one astronomy book of 1771.
- The catalog of the library: the adaptation to the new times: the shift from paper to automation led to many changes, even furniture. The consultation of the catalog we use today with computers was done manually. The librarians made tablets with all the information of the books and deposited them in a hand or on a machine drawers where they were sorted alphabetically by author, title, and subject. The faculty still retains this beautiful piece of furniture that shines in the new "Espai Vela" where it has been given another use.
- The headphones of the English class: in the library some of them are still preserved earphones which for years were used in the English class. With this curiosity you can see how the class was and what type of audio tapes were used.
- We already have a librarian !: in the student magazine "Albatros"(No. 6-7, from 1945) mentions that a person will be assigned to be in the library. The new is signed by Professor Pérez del Río.
- Voices of the sea with Rosario Piera: La Charo, daughter of the school's teacher Federico Piera, worked in the library from the age of 18 until her retirement in 2019. She has left us a testimony of her experiences at school for so many years in a interview that the Maritime Museum did to him in 2013. Available at the video library UPC.
- Tables of Calvet and Bonet:
In the old archive of the library we have them Logarithmic tables of hyperbolic natural numbers and those of the trigonometric line ... ausiliares for the uses of navigation (1851) used at the time as a student's textbook. The work was written by the professors Calvet and Bonet, who were also directors of the Nautical School.
Ezequiel Calvet: 6 director (1835-1850) and José Bonet i Vinyals 7 director (1850-1870)
To discovery UPC you can check them bibliographic data.
In the bulletin of the students of the "La Marina Menguante" School of the month of March of 1997 the list of "top ten most consulted in the library since January"The magazine costs 50 pesetas plus a donation. Some of these books are still a reference for more than twenty years later!
- Merry Christmas from a historic bank !: this 2019 the library wants to congratulate you from one of the banks that have been part of the furniture of the Faculty for years and years. In the photograph you can see the benches in the navigation classroom (1932)
- Opening speech for the year 1872-73: in the inaugural speech of Federico Gómez Arias of the course 1872-73 we find curious data on the matrícula, the examinations, the building and the library. You can take a look at speech of the old library collection fromUPCommons.