During the reading process, to extract the main ideas from the document, Make a quick first reading to get a general idea about what the document is about and one second reading taking the necessary notes to synthesize the idea of the author.
From the reading of the document, the types of tools you can prepare are:
- Annotations. They consist of pointing out the ideas of the author of the document on a topic.
- Summary. It is the brief text that synthesizes the main contents of the document. Has to / from:
- be brief, objective, clear and faithful to the original document;
- include all the sections of the document;
- In a research article, take into account the starting hypotheses, the methodology, the results and the conclusions;
- use the same point of view as the author;
- have a thread;
- quote the original document;
- not occupy more than 3% of the original document.
- Outline It is a brief representation of the content and the information is the same as in a summary, the difference is that the words linked by arrows and keys are presented.
Synoptic tables. They are used to compare ideas and points of view from various sources on the same topic, compare products, benefits, etc.
- Concept maps. They represent the relationships between concepts hierarchically and are basically used to visualize concepts that are closely related to each other and evolutionary processes.
Graphic It is a diagram that represents numerical data and is useful for analyzing the relationship between the data.
- Citations and paraphrases. Quoting a passage verbatim consists of copying the text in quotation marks and indicating the source from which it was extracted. The paraphrase is to explain the content of the document but using other words.